I have a new, hopefully temporary, job. The title is "House Buyer/Seller."
Damn, selling a house and buying a house takes a lot of work! Especially when you're 200 miles away from one of the houses in question, and you don't have a scanner or fax machine at home. I'm going to be good friends with the guys at the local Kinkos when all is said and done.
The past few days a fair amount of my time has been spent shuffling paperwork back and forth between us and our agent in Redmond. Sweetie is unable to print or fax personal things at work, and is only free to speak to outside humans for 40 minutes at lunch time and after 2 pm. So that means I get to collect any paperwork that needs signing, then gather the signatures from him in the small windows of opportunity available, then get them sent off where they need to go. Tons of fun!
And we've found a house we want to make an offer on down here (details being withheld so as not to jinx anything). Which means a whole slew of paperwork begins on this end as well.
This really is a full time job. And I have NO IDEA how people moved any distance before fax and e-mail were available.
Tomorrow's to-do list (for my reference as much as anything else):
- Fax response to inspection report to agent. (Basic response: We'll take care of everything that's actually our responsibility, although not all of it is our responsibility).
- Fax paperwork to mortgage broker down here, and finalize everything is in place for the pre-approval letter so that we can make an offer on the house we want.
- Scope out specific information on First American Title down here, provide info to agent selling the condo so that we can sign all closing documentation down here.
- Research home inspectors, so that once offer is made on our home we have an inspector at the ready. We do NOT want to use our agent's inspector, as Sweetie ran into some issues doing this in the condo, and when you're buying a 57 year old house you don't want to run into any issues down the line that can be avoided.
- Confirm balances in bank accounts, transfer money so that earnest money is readily available for an offer.
- Be done with all of the above no later than 2:15 pm.